Prevent Tooth Decay with Dental Sealants for Kids
By Dr. Everett Heringer on January 31, 2018
When it comes to oral health, prevention is the most effective treatment. For children, one of the primary focuses is reducing the risk of tooth decay through education and dental care. At Heringer Dentistry, LLC, Drs. Everett E. Heringer and Brielle Renz provide a wide range of pediatric dentistry services to protect our young patients' smiles and teach them how to care for their teeth. One treatment we offer to help children significantly reduce the risk of tooth decay are dental sealants. With dental sealants for kids, our youngest Bismarck, ND, patients can enjoy healthy smiles throughout childhood and beyond.
What Are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are a protective coating that may be applied to the teeth to prevent tooth decay. Dental sealants are most commonly placed on the biting surface of the molars, an area which is naturally bumpy and susceptible to tooth decay. When placed on children's teeth, dental sealants can help ensure the teeth stay free of decay and remain healthy for years to come.
The Dental Sealants Process
Placing dental sealants is both quick and painless, making it a great treatment for children. First, the teeth are thoroughly cleaned and dried. Next, an acidic solution is applied to the teeth that helps the sealant adhere in place. The teeth are then rinsed and dried again. Once dry, the dental sealant is brushed in a liquid form onto the teeth. The dental sealant material is then hardened with a special UV light, providing a thin yet durable protective layer to the teeth.
The Benefits of Dental Sealants for Kids
Dental sealants offer many benefits for protecting oral health. Placing dental sealants early can help ensure tooth decay never occurs, making this treatment especially beneficial for children. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Reduces the risk of tooth decay: By covering the bumps and crevices of the teeth, dental sealants help prevent bacteria and plaque from becoming lodged within the surfaces of the teeth, significantly reducing the risk of decay.
- Placing dental sealants is a pain-free process: The treatment process for placing dental sealants is completely painless. In fact, placing dental sealants can help children avoid the pain of severe tooth decay and root canal infections as well as prevent the need for painful dental procedures.
- Makes it easier to clean the teeth: All of the bumps and grooves on the molars can make it difficult to thoroughly clean the teeth, especially for young children who may still be learning proper brushing techniques. Filling these fissures with dental sealants can prevent food from getting stuck in these pits, making it easier for children to clean their teeth.
- Dental sealants are long-lasting: Dental sealants are extremely durable and can provide enhanced protection of the enamel for 10 or more years.
- Treatment is repeatable: Dental sealants can be replaced at the first signs of wear during childhood. They may even be replaced throughout adulthood to provide a lifetime of protection from tooth decay.
Are Dental Sealants Right for Your Child?
For more information about dental sealants, or to find out if this treatment is right for your child, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Heringer or Dr. Renz.
Related to This
"The staff was amazing and made me feel at complete ease... I truly cannot say enough about how wonderful my experience was… I highly highly recommend Dr. Heringer. I will never see another dentist again, they are stuck with me!"