Wine and Coffee After Teeth Whitening
By Dr. Everett Heringer on September 06, 2019
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry treatments at our Bismarck, ND practice. Teeth whitening can remove dental stains and brighten smiles, giving you teeth that look pristine and clean every time you open your mouth.
Coffee, tea, wine, and cigarettes are some of the most common reasons people see Dr. Everett E. Heringer for teeth whitening treatment. These substances can also be an issue after you’ve undergoing a successful teeth whitening procedure. Let’s explore the issue in more detail below.
How Teeth Whitening Treatment Works
During teeth whitening treatment, the tooth enamel is bleached using safe chemicals and laser light. The stains themselves are not removed but the tooth structure is brightened in the process.
Can Teeth Get Stained After Teeth Whitening Treatment?
While teeth whitening can work wonders for stains, it will not make your smile completely stain resistant. After some time, your teeth will become discolored again. That’s why we offer teeth whitening patients at our Bismarck practice practical advice on how to prevent future stains and maintain the cosmetic dentistry benefits for as long as possible.
Tips for Having Wine After Teeth Whitening
If you’re going to have wine, consider the following advice to help avoid stains:
- Try to Have White Wine When You Can - White wine won’t stain your teeth as bad as red wine. Sure, white wine won’t pair with every meal, but it’s worth considering if you want to preserve the beauty of your smile.
- Sip Water While You Enjoy Your Wine - A little bit of water with your wine can help remove stain-causing particles on your teeth. You can even sneak a discreet swish of water to clean your teeth during a meal.
- Brush Your Teeth 30 Minutes After You’re Done - After having some wine, wait half an hour and then brush your teeth. Waiting a bit helps prevent unintentional damage to your teeth caused by the acidity of the wine.
Tips for Having Coffee After Teeth Whitening
If you’re going to have coffee, consider the following advice to help avoid stains:
- Add a Splash of Milk to Your Coffee - A little bit of milk will lighten the color of your coffee and reduce its ability to cause serious stains. It doesn’t matter if it’s whole, skim, soy, or almond, so add a splash of your favorite for flavor and dental benefits.
- Drink Iced Coffee with a Straw - If you like having iced coffee, try drinking it through a straw. This will allow the liquid to bypass your teeth and prevent stains from developing.
- Have a Glass of Water Handy to Sip On - As with wine, a bit of water with your coffee can help clean away stain-causing particles that will darken your teeth.
- Brush Your Teeth 30 Minutes After You’re Done - Again, brushing your teeth after half an hour is the best way to minimize discoloration and keep stains away.
Touch-Up Teeth Whitening to Brighten Your Smile
If you do eventually need another teeth whitening treatment, no worries. Our cosmetic dentistry center is here to help. When your teeth begin to look dingier or stained, we can perform a teeth whitening treatment to brighten your smile up again.
Learn More About Cosmetic and Restorative Dentistry
If you would like more information on bleaching teeth and enhancing the appearance of your smile, be sure to contact a skilled cosmetic and restorative dentist. Heringer Dentistry can be reached in Bismarck by phone at (701) 255-4850.
Related to This
"The staff was amazing and made me feel at complete ease... I truly cannot say enough about how wonderful my experience was… I highly highly recommend Dr. Heringer. I will never see another dentist again, they are stuck with me!"